Municipal Wellness Teams
The Municipal Wellness Program knowns that health and wellbeing are foundational to the success of employees, elected officials, the municipalities they work for, and the communities they serve. And we know that employees and elected officials are great champions when it comes to creating workplace environments that support the health and wellbeing of all.
Our vision of creating healthy work environments with engaged employees and elected officials is one the Municipal Wellness Program is approaching collectively and collaboratively, supported by avid Wellbeing Champions—employees and elected officials who are committed to helping to embed and promote health and wellbeing in their workplaces.
Join us in creating and championing healthy work environments through one of these great Municipal Wellness Teams
Municipal Wellness Champions
Municipal Wellness Champions are employee volunteers who play a key strategic role in supporting the Municipal Wellness Program Committee in its effort to build capacity in the municipalities by supporting and promoting employee and elected officials’ health and wellbeing.
THE PROGRAM AIMS TO:
- Build connections across NS municipalities to share health and wellbeing best practices.
- Ensure municipalities are aware of and are effectively using the health and wellness resources to support their employees and elected officials.
- Facilitate conversations and knowledge-sharing around best practices to enhance employee and elected officials' wellbeing.
- Promoted health and wellbeing events and initiatives in your municipality.
- Communicate the wellness champion role to colleagues and elected officials in your Municipality.
- Assist staff, employees, and elected officials in identifying, accessing, or effectively using the wellness programs and resources (e.g. Training opportunities, EFAP, campaigns).
- Inform staff, employees, and elected officials about updates to any health and wellness programs and resources throughout the year.
- Provide feedback to the Municipal Wellness Committee on trends and ongoing issues related to employee health and wellbeing upon request.
- Applied for funding for health and wellbeing initiatives such as the Municipal Wellness Grant Program
Time Commitment: 2-4 hours per month of work time. This will vary depending on the needs of the faculty or department and whether the Wellness Champion participates in optional training.
Length of Term: Two years, with the option to continue the role.
- Support from a direct supervisor or CAO.
- Passion for employee health and wellbeing and a desire to guide and support others in promoting health and wellbeing with their teams.
- Improved support for Workplace Wellness from management, employee, and elected officials.
- Increased health and wellness literacy.
- Opportunities to connect with other wellness champions across the province who share the same passion.
- Early access to information, tools, and initiatives available to support and promote health and wellbeing.
Mental Wellness Ambassador Program
The Mental Wellness Ambassador (MWA) program is a pilot program that plays a key strategic role in supporting the Municipal Wellness Program Committee in its effort to build healthy workplaces where all employees and elected officials can thrive. Mental Wellness Ambassadors (MWA), champion workplace mental health and support the rollout of the Not Myself Today Campaign.
THE PROGRAM AIMS TO:
- Build greater management, colleagues, and Elected Officials awareness and understanding of mental health
- Reduce stigma
- Foster safe and supportive workplace cultures.
Stay tuned for more information.
Municipal Wellness Committee
The Municipal Wellness Committee is made up of a dedicated group of senior administrators, municipal leaders, and employees who represent Nova Scotia Municipalities. They provide support in making health and wellbeing a priority in NS municipalities, addressing why employee health matters, and recognizing how it can be integrated into municipal work environments. The Municipal Wellness Committee typically meets quarterly.
Municipal Wellness Committee Members: