The food choices people make are heavily influenced by what is available and happening around them. Given the number of meals consumed at work, workplaces can help employees make wise healthy choices, as part of a workplace wellness program. It can influence the person’s long-term health and wellness.
Workplaces can help improve employee eating habits by creating a supportive environment that encourages healthy eating and increased access to healthier options. Supporting healthy eating in the workplace contributes to:
- An overall healthier workplace.
- Increased employee job satisfaction.
- Productivity and reduced absenteeism.
Resources to Help Promote Healthy Eating in Your Municipality
- Educational Resources with a variety of healthy eating information.
- Healthy Eating Manual for resources on healthy eating.
- Run a successful wellness challenge using this Healthy Eating Challenge Tool Kit.
*for more information on running a healthy eating challenge, please contact email@example.com
The nutrition support services available through your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) offer a holistic and proactive approach to your nutrition and wellness. The professionals will help you make positive changes to your dietary addressing weight loss or gain, eating routines and lifestyle changes. You also have access to Registered Dietitians who can assess your eating habits, identify any dietary concerns and answer any nutrition questions you may have.
Receive help for a variety of concerns, including:
- Weight loss or gain.
- Getting off the diet "roller coaster."
- Boosting energy and stress resilience.
- Healthy eating on-the-go.
- Accommodating shift work.
- Eating a well-balanced vegetarian diet.
- Lowering cholesterol levels.
- Reducing high blood pressure.
- Regulating diabetes.
- Preventing heart disease.
- Preventing osteoporosis.
Nutrition support services are provided through telephonic consultations with a professionals or an electronic resource kit to use at your own pace at home.
The Municpal Wellness Program has develop Healthy Food Guidelines to help guide municipalities in creating and sustaining a healthy eating environment within the workplace. Depending on the readiness of your municipality, you could use all the guidelines, some of the guidelines or simply use this document as a starting point for conversations about changing the food environment.