PLEASE READ – Before reviewing the information below, please refer to your benefit plan/benefits administrator to confirm if you have access to the Employee and Family Assistance program.
The EFAP program is a confidential service within the limits of the law, AMANS, NSFM or your Municipality will not know you accessed the service unless you choose to share that information.
The Employee and Family Assistance Program (by LifeWorks, formerly Morneau Shepell) provides a variety of services to support you across all dimensions of health (physical, mental, workplace, financial and social). As part of the Municipal Wellness Program’s commitment to supporting and working with Municipalities, ensuring you have the resources available to help you achieve your personal health goals, we encourage you to learn more below on how the EFAP program can support you and your family members.
Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
When calling the EFAP number, you will be connected with a client care representative who can help direct you to the best confidential service for you and your concerns.
How do I know if EFAP is the right support for me?
A large misconception is that we must be experiencing a crisis in order to reach out to EFAP. EFAP is designed to support you at any point on your wellness journey, from prevention to intervention, and can help you:
- Develop new, positive habits
- Focus on personal growth
- Work through complex emotions
- Seek clarity in some areas of life
- Challenge negative thinking patterns
- Learn new techniques to cope with difficult situations
Face-to-face Telephonic Video Text Based
Address your physical health concerns with support from a Registered Nurse or Dietitian.
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, migraines, asthma, allergies, weight management, healthy eating, smoking cessation and exercise
Receive consultations from financial experts who can advise on the following financial matters:
- Credit/debt management, budgeting, bankruptcy, financial aspects of separation/divorce, insurance, income tax planning and retirement planning
Provides help with finding the child and eldercare resources:
- Daycare centres, after school programs, special needs programs, home care services, long term care, caregiver support groups, adoption, and new parent supports
Get access to short-term professional support from a Masters level clinician for personal, emotional and mental health related concerns:
- Stress, resiliency, communication, bullying/harassment, depression, anxiety, burnout, addiction, grief, anger and conflict
Receive consultations with legal experts who can support you with the following:
- Family law, landlord and tenant issues, separation/divorce, custody and child support, wills, and estate planning
- Referrals to professional lawyers for on-going legal support is available.
Accessing the website:
Visit the WorkHealthLife website to access articles and toolkits on a variety of health and well-being topics.
- Type your town/municipality/organization and click on “search”
- Find and select your town/municipality/organization to enter the website
Navigating the website:
- To learn more about the different types of counselling and coaching services available, see under the ‘my services’ tab on the top left corner of the navigation bar.
- Under the additional tabs, “health & well-being”, “career & workplace”, “financial security”, and “life events” you will find a large assortment of articles on these topics.
Accessing the online EFAP services:
Under the ‘Let us Help’ section on the right: Navigate through the various support options including online interactive programs, e-counselling and telecounselling.
- Do you want to speak to someone now?: Click on the ‘Chat Now’ button or call the EFAP number for immediate assistance, available 24/7.
- Want to get started, but you don’t need to speak to someone immediately? Click on the ‘Email a counsellor’ button to be connected with a counsellor or click on the ‘Get started online’ to view the online programs available.
Please note: To access the online programs and e-counselling you will be prompted to create an individual and private account using your personal email address. With respect to your confidentiality, the AMA-NSFM or your Municipality will not know you accessed the service unless you choose to share that information.
Physical health support: LIFT Sessions
- LIFT is a free workout designed to support you wherever you are on your fitness journey.
- Chat with fitness experts, receive a custom fitness plan and get access to a variety of workouts anywhere, anytime.
- Access the app under the ‘my services’ tab.